Main content of the website

  • font sizeA
  • A
  • A

Planning and Development


Davin Gegolick
4909 – 50 Street
Box 550
Vegreville, AB T9C 1R6

Office: 780-632-2082
Fax: 780-632-6296


Any building 240 sq. ft. or larger (150 sq. ft. or larger within any residential, recreational, or commercial land use district) requires development permit approval. Prior to any groundwork or construction, a development permit must be approved and, in most cases, approvals under the Safety Codes Act of Alberta must also be obtained. It is strongly encouraged that proponents schedule a pre-application meeting with the Planning & Development Department prior to submitting a development permit application to ensure a more streamlined permitting process. The County of Minburn public GIS system can be used to plan your development and use your aerial photo for the site plan. For more information on the development permit process, see application requirements, below, or view our FAQs page.


Application forms must be completed for all proposed developments, including change in use of existing development or access, within 300 meters of the provincial right-of-way boundary or within 800 meters of the center point of an intersection of the provincial highway with another public road. Application forms must be completed for all proposed signs, including sign information changes within 300 meters of the highway right-of-way boundary or within 800 meters of the center point of an intersection of the highway with another public road.

Submit your application through the online portal:


The necessary Safety Code Permit approvals are required for certain types of development. Please contact the Inspections Group for Safety Code Permit and inspection inquiries. Details on what's required to submit a building permit application can be found below.

All you need to know about the New Home Buyer Protection Act

The Inspections Group
12010 – 111 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5G 0E6

Office: 1-866-554-5048 (toll free) or 780-454-5048
Fax: 1-866-454-5222 (toll free) or 780-454-5222

Complete the development application in its entirety. Anyone can apply for a development permit, but the property owner contact information/signature is always required.

Complete the building permit application form in its entirety. Either apply as the Property Owner or as the Contractor. The building permit application can either be sent to the County to forward to the Safety Codes permitting agency, The Inspections Group Inc., or it can be sent directly to the Inspections Group for processing.

The Site Plan must clearly indicate:

  • location of the proposed development in relation to the closest property line(s) and existing structures
  • location of existing/proposed on-site private sewage disposal system (pump out, field, mound, etc.) and source of water (well, cistern)
  • location of existing/proposed access
  • location of any utilities, pipelines, and gas/oil wells
  • location of any wetlands, rivers/drainage courses, and bodies of water
  • location of customer parking (if a business)
  • any other details that may be required by the Development Authority

It is recommended that you utilize the County's public GIS system to prepare your site plan.

Note: You can use the same site plan for both your development application and building permit application

Include information and drawings for the development including:

  • floor plan 
    • size/dimensions and labels of each room
  • elevation plan
    • height of walls
    • roof pitch
    • location of all windows and doors
    • exterior design of the building

For Accessory Buildings (sheds, garage, etc.) you can use this template.

For Quonsets, you can use this template.

For Manufactured Dwellings (mobile homes), you can use this template.

For decks, you can use this template.

Note: Although engineering isn't required for your building application, you will require engineered design and stamped drawings for your building permit application. Engineered design and stamped drawings are also required for floating slab foundations for garages/shops that are larger than 24' x 26'.

As part of your building permit application, submit information on the mobile home and/or RTM by filling out this form.

As part of your building permit application for a new dwelling, submit your new home warranty certificate or exemption.

Visit the New Home Buyer Protection Act page for details.

Is your proposed development primarily planned to be used for agricultural purposes (livestock, storage of farm machinery, etc.)? If so, you must submit a Farm Building Declaration for your development application.

Note: Although farm buildings do not require building permit approval, development permit and other Safety Code Permits (electrical, gas, plumbing, private sewage) are required.

As part of your development application, provide information on the existing/proposed on-site private sewage disposal information if you are planning to tie into an existing system or install a new system. Please complete this information in its entirety.

If your development application is for a business, attach a separate document including details of the business for your development application:

  • business name and contact information
  • description of the business and what it entails
  • number of employees
  • number of employees (not owners of the property) residing on the property
  • estimated number of client/customer trips expected on a daily basis
  • proposed truck route
  • whether or not clients/customers will be entering the building
  • hours of operations/days of the week open to the public
  • any lights, noise, dust, etc. detectable past the property boundaries?
  • details about any signage associated with the business
  • any other additional information as requested by the Development Authority

Submit the development application fee in accordance to the development permit fee schedule. Payment can be submitted to the County Administration Office or paid online

Note: If there is no rural address sign on the subject property, add the cost of a rural address sign ($52.50) to your application fee and a rural address will be applied to the property.

Payment for your building permit application must be sent directly to The Inspections Group Inc. per the fee schedule attached to the building application. Payment can also be submitted online by using the Credit Card Authorization form.